DEEP-DISH CHICKEN PIE
Category: Pies, Chicken
Yield: 8 servings
5 lb Broiler-fryers,cut-up Flour,all-purpose
1/2 ts Pepper 1 3/4 c Half-and-half
1/2 ts Marjoram leaves 1 pk Lima beans,baby,frozen(10oz)
Water 1/2 lb Mushrooms,small
Salt 1 c Shortening
2 Carrots,large,sliced 2 tb Shortening
1 Celery stalk,large,sliced 1 Egg yolk
3/4 lb Onions,small,white
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over high heat, heat chickens, pepper,
marjoram, 4 cups water, and 2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Reduce heat to low;
cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender..
2. When chicken is done, reserve 1 cup broth. Cool chicken until easy to
handle; remove and discard bones and skin; cut meat into 1" pieces..
3. In 3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat carrots, celery, onions, and
reserved 1 cup chicken broth to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and
simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Remove from heat.
With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to medium-sized bowl..
4. In small bowl, blend 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 cup half-and-half; gradually
stir into broth in saucepan; stir in remaining half-and-half. Over low
heat, cook, stirring until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in chicken, cooked
vegetables, thawed lima beans, mushrooms, and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon
mixture into 13x9" baking dish..
5. Prepare pastry: In medium-sized bowl, stir 3 cups all-purpose flour and
1 1/2 teaspoon salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors
fashion, cup shortening into flour to resemble coarse crumbs. Sprinkle
about 1/2 cup water, a tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, mixing
lightly with a fork until pastry is just moist enough to hold together;
shape pastry into a ball..
6. On lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll two-thirds of
dough into 15x11" rectangle. With knife, cut several small slits in center
of pastry. Place pastry loosely over chicken mixture. Trim pastry edge,
leaving 1" overhang; fold overhang under and press gently all around baking
dish to make a high stand-up edge. Roll and cut remaining dough to make
decorative design for top of pie..
7. In cup, beat egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water. Brush pastry with egg-yolk
mixture. Bake pie in 350'F oven 1 hour or until crust is golden and chicken
mixture is heated through.
Send to a FriendPrint
And enter a keyword or phrase to search over 50,000 recipes: